Thursday, July 10, 2014

Rag Rug Time

 

It is summer and the one thing I love about summer is color. Everything is so green and beautiful. It is so hard to be in a bad mood when the world is blossoming.


Another thing I love about summer is the time I have to crochet. I have just started to get into making rugs. I will tell you how you can make a fabulous, warm, and sturdy rug of your own.
First, you need several pairs of old Dresses (I used mine and my friends ). They can be well worn and loved. Cut away all the seams, hems, and pockets so that you just have fabric.

Now, starting at one end, cut a 3/4″ strip until you reach 1/2″ from the opposite end. Now turn your fabric 180 degrees, leave another 3/4″ and start cutting down along parallel.  You don’t need to be exact, where the fabric is wider, I cut wider to use up as much material as I could.   There will be some odd pieces left over that you can’t make use of.
I started off making a chain of 18 stitches (using the largest crochet hook you can find, mine was K+), and then used a single crochet stitch to go around and around. How many stitches you start off with depends on what dimensions you want the finished product to be. 



When you get to the end of one strip of fabric, just make a half inch slit about 3 inches in into both the end of the fabric and the beginning of the next. Pull the ends through the opposite hole to keep them stable and just crochet them in, it won’t be noticeable in the end product.
didn't use a pattern and just added increases as I went along, as needed.
I know that all of this seems like a lot of work, but it is easier than it looks, and it goes by quite quickly once you get the hang of it. The nice thing about crochet instead of braiding is that there is no sewing involved and you get to see the finished product as you go along, which for me is key. I really need the sense of satisfaction that I just added 5 inches to my rug to keep me going.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Perfect Winter Hat....

Caramel Cap If you know the knitting basics, you can make this hip and warm Slouchy Hat for yourself, your family members, or as a ...